Thursday 7 August 2014

#BLAUGUST - Day 7 - Charleston


Hello dear readers, 

As promised, today is a round up of chapter 3 of our America trip: Charleston.   It's quite a historic town (in American standards anyway!) and it has some really lovely restaurants; again, lovely people. Our hotel also had a Leo di Caprio-esque concierge, so my mum and I were extremely happy (sorry, wasn't able to take stalkerish photo to prove this similarity, so you'll have to take my word for it).


This is the charming sitting room for afternoon tea at the hotel (the John Rutledge Inn - this man was one of the South Carolina signers of the US Constitution)


Fried green tomatoes: a local delicacy - but I think I would have preferred them slightly more if they hadn't been pickled first! 


Cute fairy lights at the restaurant on our first night 



Exciting light from a shop window on the ground!! There were so many art galleries in Charleston... Ft my fave new Topshop dress with pineapples and flamingos (what more could you want from fashion?!)


I now warn you about how many photos I took of pretty houses...





Part of the famous Rainbow Row (more complete photo at top of post)



A sign in the market that made me chuckle! 

Overall, Charleston was historic and beautiful, and so interesting. Next/last stop: Atlanta!

Before I sign off, I'll tell you about what I did this morning: basically, I live in a village with quite a strong community feel, but no village shop (makes no sense I know), so my mum is part of the little team who take turns each week to drive an old, slightly decrepit minibus to ferry the more senior members of the village to the nearest town to go to Waitrose (but of course... Ps: for non-Britons, Waitrose is pretty much the most expensive supermarket, but all their stock is amazing) where they all then meet up for a coffee and a chat, post-shop. Today there was an unusually high number of shoppers (7!) so we had to take over two tables and hijack many chairs from others to all fit in the coffee area.

You may think that this wouldn't be my idea of an exciting morning (especially as I had to get up at 8:30 - ugh) but (once I'm awake and out of bed) I actually really enjoy it - it's so rewarding helping them all and listening to their stories is incredibly interesting. A man who used to get the bus, called Eric, once told my mum that he got shot in the leg in the war, as well as being part of the team who broke into a leading concentration camp, and, when personally confronted by the Nazi general, he, I quote: "shot the bugger in the head". Not every day you hear a story like that in the middle of Waitrose. 

My mum is contemplating one day writing a short book about all of the people's lives and stories - they're all fascinating, and some are in their nineties! I hope I'm still up for going for a shop and a coffee catch-up when I'm that age... Especially if I can gather any personal stories during my lifetime that are half as interesting as Eric's. 

Thanks for reading, 

The very (distressed as legs peeling as no suncream adhered today when reading Jane Eyre outside and forgot thatBritain is currently unnaturally hot so meh and) happy blogger🌞

No comments: