Saturday 16 August 2014

#BLAUGUST - Day 15 - Summertime in London

Hello dear readers, 

First things first: sorry this is slightly late - I've only just really returned from London! 

I went to the city today with my parentials as my dad treated me and my mum (it's her birthday too in a couple of weeks - why is it that this always happens - I know so many people whose birthdays are really close to their mother's!) to see the musical/opera, Porgy and Bess, based on the novel Porgy by DuBose Heyward. It features the song "Summertime" (hence blog title!) which Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong made famous with their cover of it. The story is set in a religious 1920s Charleston (which made it interesting for me, having just returned from there! The characters' street is called Catfish Row, which we went to visit on our trip), and is about a kindly cripple called Porgy and how he strives to win the heart of the promiscuous, but vulnerable, Bess. 

The whole production was done so well - the set was amazing (I'll upload a photo later) and I loved how everyone had quite large parts - the songs were shared out as equally as possible. The music is so beautiful - it's mainly jazz - and the cast performed it all to perfection, especially one cast member, who is incidentally part of the Sugababes! 

The performance was at the Regent's Park open air theatre, which is lovely as they perform whatever the weather, and the shows can be made a lot more authentic. The weather here in little Britain is starting to get a bit more chilly, and so we lugged sleeping bags around the tube earlier so that we'd be warm! It was definitely worth it though. 

Thanks for reading, 

The very (tired and) happy blogger 🎭

No comments: