Thursday 28 August 2014

#BLAUGUST - Day 28 - A Birthday Surprise

Hello dear readers, 

Today is my mother's birthday, wahooy! I hope she's had a great day. The only odd occurrence we've had today has something to do with dogs. Well, a lot to do with dogs. 

So I accidentally slept in (teenager) and whilst having my unsuitably warm, late breakfast of porridge, my aunt related to me how two dogs had turned up that morning when I was still asleep, seemingly out of nowhere; then disappeared again.

I didn't think any more of it (except when I saw a little memento of their visit that they'd left on the patio!) until we'd all had a sunbathing session, when I caught sight of - yep, you guessed it - one of the   dogs from earlier! Reading her name tag, we discovered that she was called Athena and had two contact numbers. After calling both several times to no avail, we kind of just became friends with her. 

She's lovely - I'm not sure what breed, but she's got cute pointy ears, long legs, and big black patches on white fur; she's so friendly and docile - she just spent the day lying in the shade, and we kept her happy with lots of water and a bit of meat. 

But the real problem was, why weren't her owners answering the phone or calling us back? who were they? how long had poor little Athena been wandering around in the forest, and how did she become separated from her friend, the other dog?

Well, that last question could be answered by the fact that she was wet when she came up to us - my mum's theory (by the way, she seemed to really enjoy spending her birthday with canine company!) is that someone saw the two dogs approaching and sprayed them with a hose, thinking they were strays; the two ran away in different directions. 

We're staying in a villa owned by a British family, but there's a French lady who comes to look after the house, and she told us that she recognised Athena, and that this wasn't the first time it had happened. The male dog who was with her before was her next door neighbour, and he likes to go exploring - but she always follows! So they'd both been traipsing through the forest for a day, which is why she looked so thin and tired when we found her. Luckily, we're all strong dog-lovers (or any animal-lovers really!) and so we looked after her. 

We came back from my mum's birthday dinner to find Athena where we'd left her - she was so happy to see us, it was adorable - but this time, she wasn't alone! The aforementioned male dog had found her again. He was a little tense and protective of her at first, but when we saw that we weren't going to hurt him, or her, he settled down.

Now as I write this, I believe they're both outside the house, hopefully sleeping. 

I really hope that their owners will come and collect them tomorrow morning - they're truly lovely dogs and it makes me sad to think that they're not being looked after properly... But I assure you that we and the French lady will do all we can to make sure they're safe. 

Thanks for reading, 

The very (tired, dog-loving and) happy blogger 🐶🐕

No comments: