Saturday 14 December 2013

Rant - Unhappy chatter moment

Ok, so I don't want all of my blog to be this serious, but I need to get this out of the way.

I don't usually cry but I am at the moment, because someone I know just openly disapproved of homosexuality in front of me, and it shocked me that someone i love so much could have such a different opinion to me.

I'm straight, but of course that doesn't make a difference. I'm EXACTLY the same as someone who likes another of their sex - we're both humans, live on the same planet, and are fundamentally the same. How does being attracted to others of their sex make someone different? And why are people so adverse to it? It doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Granted, if someone's religion or fundamental family or national belief is against homosexuality then I'm not accusing them of anything, but if they're against it simply because they feel they should be then maybe they could rethink the circumstances. After all, people can't help who they fall in love with.

Anyway, it's someone's own decision when they choose what to think of something - I'm just saying it's not fair to them or the 'something' in question if they don't really, truly believe it, but feel they need to due to peer pressure.

But on the subject of homosexuality or LGBT people, as I was saying earlier, they are no different. 'Gay' and 'lesbian' have become labels which people use without thinking twice. It really doesn't matter; they are the same. How many times does this need to be said for people to understand?

As for same sex marriage, I fully support it. I was moved to tears (yet again!) the other day when I saw photos of two men getting married. Their happiness was just as great as that of a heterosexual couple, and two men doing their first dance looked no different to a man and a woman. In fact, their matching suits made them look maybe more stylish!

All I'm saying is, every little step towards changing people's opinions is a positive one - so please do whatever you can. Even if it's just mentioning same sex marriage more to your friends and family or just promoting it and homosexuality in general to make them more widely accepted, it all contributes.

There are many charities which support the LGBT community, but I feel they still don't get the recognition they deserve. A prominent example is Straight But Not Narrow, which uniquely encourages straight people to openly say it's okay to be gay. They have many celebrity ambassadors, including Josh Hutcherson, the late Cody Monteith, and Victorious star Avan Jogia. It's charities like this that help spread awareness and acceptance.

To finish my little rant, I have a friend who feels just as strongly as me about this subject. She has said many times, and I'm sure she will keep to this, that she refuses to get married until everyone in the world has a right to marry whoever they want to. You may think this is a drastic thing to do and that it won't help anything, but actually it's acts like this that really help. When people see how strongly she feels, they may stop and think and reconsider their own opinions, and make the world a happier and safer place for those who are not appreciated enough just because of who they fall in love with. And that's definitely an improvement.


If you agree with me and/or want others to, please feel free to share this and spread the message.

Thanks for reading, I'll try not to make all of my posts this serious!

Much love xxxx
 The (not so at the moment) happy blogger

Ps: the link to an amazing video is here: http://youtu.be/CnOJgDW0gPI

And another, more recent video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWIaYZEHOIg&list=UUe9y167ik8jcUYMxKLX6iGg (I'm writing this bit on the 25/2/14)

Also, the link to the Straight But Not Narrow website is here: http://www.straightbutnotnarrow.org/home
You can donate or buy merchandise, and there are loads of links and videos on how you can help:) thank you if you do!

No comments: