Wednesday 24 September 2014

My Guilty Pleasure (and Everyone Else in Britain's)

Hello dear readers, 

May I present to you a post entirely dedicated to that wonder of wonders; that programme of programmes: the Great British Bake-Off. If you, like me, watch this religiously every week and enjoy every single mouth-watering morsel, then please proceed to be my buddy. If not, or if, heaven forbid, you haven't even HEARD of it, well... Let me say to you, yes you, kindly sir or madam I say to you, yes that's you: please... do watch. Then you'll understand our obsession with it. Then therefore, thereby, forthwith, you can be my buddy. Yay!

Moving on... It may just be a stereotype, but - in fact, it IS a stereotype, that - Britain is associated with tea. Tea in the morning, tea in the afternoon, tea in the later hours (if you're feeling particularly daring). Just tea, tea, and yep - you guessed it - tea. BUT - and this is a very big but indeed - tea cannot go unaccompanied. Oh no, one must pair tea with one of the greatest partners-in-crime of all: cake. And this is where Bake-Off fits in. 

Fun fact: apparently the National Grid has noticed that energy usage increases very suddenly around 8pm on Wednesdays. And the usage from each user (of electricity that is, naughty!) amounts to how much usage you'd need to boil a kettle. Essentially, most of Britain's inhabitants agree that the age-old relationship between cake and tea should constantly be re-kindled. 

So now we've established Britain's association with tea, what next, you ask? Well, dear reader, I answer: British humour. Another age-old tradition. And that's where these two lovely ladies fit in:


Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins are honestly one of the highlights of my week. The dymanic duo, the punny pair - whatever you wish to call them, they're brilliant in my opinion. Recently, they've been criticized for being too smutty. Personally I think this is ridiculous, as what kind of jokes do you expect them to make when their job is to be funny and entertain whilst presenting a programme where there are frequent soggy bottoms? I rest my (very sugary) case. 

Talking of dynamic duos, another worthy pair is these two: 


*drum roll pls*

May I present to you (this is the second time I've used that phrase, I must be feeling particularly dramatic this evening) the wonderful king of bread and the delightful overall queen of baking, fashion, and everything. Paul Hollywood may have his rough edges, but we all know he's secretly all soft and squishy and nice on the inside (punny baking pun, thank you, thank you). As for Mary, well - another fun fact, which I think shows her amazing influence over people despite being the grand old age of 80 this year (so is my grandma actually - as of Friday - so yay to that) is that a jacket she recently wore in an episode sold out within half an hour on the shop's website. She is an absolute style icon. And she bakes great biscuits too - what more could you want?! 

But hang on, let's not forget some very important people here: the contestants. Some of my favourites have been John (who won a couple of series back), Norman (I mean, how could you not adore him), Martha (unfortunately *SPOILER ALERT* she went out this week, but it's amazing how she got to the quarter finals aged only 17), and so many others who have all outdone themselves in the baking department. The irony is that I can't bake for my life, so I guess it's natural in a way for me to extra-admire all of the contestants, who have to be so talented at baking to even get on the show in the first place. 

The bake-off family (not forgetting the hilarious Jo Brand, who does the spin-off programme 'An Extra Slice') is just fabulous - there's no other word for it. I think it's wonderful how it's such a popular programme when all it really is is good old baking puns, many soggy bottoms, and a lot of amazing concoctions on the side. The nation has truly been betwitched the by the power of... Cake. 

So now you're all probably thinking, what's my opinion on who's going to win? Well, to your thoughting thinks I do say: I have no idea.

Hmm... Maybe I do. 

But that would be telling! 

I hope that if you haven't already been immersed in the world of Bake-Off, that you do soon. After all, it's great for the soul (although not the stomach - I find it makes me incredibly hungry and, naturally I must fulfil this hunger with the most unhealthy thing I can lay my hands on... Ah well)!

Thanks for reading, 

The (very) happy blogger

No comments: